On November 1, 1874, the Presbyterian Church of San Bernardino was organized, being a branch of the Colton Church. Services were held in temporary quarters until a building was completed on the corner of Church and E Streets, and it was dedicated free to debt in 1885.1
In 1910 this church was moved to the back of the lot, and a new church was built, seating 700 persons. This church is pictured below, and was in continuous use until the Presbyterians moved to their present site on D Street at Nineteenth.
First Presbyterian Church
The Mormons had the town surveyed and laid out in uniform blocks, 600 feet square. Church Street bisects the original block between Fifth and Sixth. A search of the records reveals that this street was probably deeded and named for the Presbyterian Church around 1874.
1 Brown and Boyd, op. cit., p. 181.