While the City has consistently posted financial documents to the city's website, including the budget books and comprehensive annual financial reports, sometimes additional information may be sought out by citizens. Oftentimes that information is most easily understood through interactive charts and graphs.
In an effort to enhance transparency in financial reporting, we are offering an interactive reporting tool that allows citizens to explore our budget data online in various graphical formats selected by the user. OpenGov, a California-based company specializing in financial transparency, pioneered this online application.
We are providing actual and/or budgeted historical financial data from 2011-2016 for public review. As of right now, you will see budgeted and actuals (audited) data for fiscal years 2011-12 and 2012-13. We expect to reflect actuals for the remaining years as quickly as they are completed.
Click here to go to OpenSB - City of San Bernardino Financial Transparency Portal
The first page you will see on OpenSB, features current budgeted expenses by departments. On the left side users have 10 different views quickly accessible, downloadable and shareable. You may also use the "Filters" option to select you own data points.
OpenGov How-to Guide:
OpenGov allows you to explore budget and historical finances in a simple graphical user interface.
- You'll notice the title of the Report you are viewing in the top left corner.
- Click on Saved on the left-hand side to view a list of common views on each report.
- Select Filter to display key menus.
- You can use the Show drop-down to select the data that is of most interest to you.
- Use the Broken Down By drop-down to specify the category you would like the data organized by in your chart or graph.
- Select the Filtered By option to view the data filters. These filters will allow you to select exactly which data you want to include, or exclude, from your graph or chart.
- Use the Search function within each filter to find exactly what you are looking for.
- If your organization has uploaded multiple years of data, a Fiscal Year slider will be present below the Filtered By menu. Move the sliders to choose the fiscal year(s) of data you would like to see.
- There are five different types of visual representations of the data:
o A stacked percentage graph to see percentage changes over time.
o A stacked line graph to visualize overall trends over time.
o A line graph overlaying each trend over time.
o A pie chart to view percentage breakdowns by year. To view data for other years, move the slider below the pie chart.
o A bar chart comparing trends and percentage breakdowns over time.
- Below any chart or graph, you can view a Table detailing the financial information in the visualization above.
- Use the Help drop-down in the top right corner to:
o View a short How-To Guide with tips on navigating the platform.
o Recall the Welcome Screen.
o View a short Budget 101 primer with basic information on multi-fund accounting.
o Contact the administrators of the account.
- Use the Share drop-down in the top right corner to:
o Share your customized graph or chart through social media.
o Send a link to your customized graph or chart through email.
- Use the Download drop-down in the top right corner to:
o Download an image of the graph or table as a .png file.
o Download a spreadsheet as a .csv file.
For additional information on OpenGov and to access education materials, please visit: