Functions of the City Attorney's Office
The City Attorney is the chief legal officer for the City. The City Attorney represents the Mayor, Common Council, all City officers in all legal matters involving the City, and prosecutes violators of the Municipal Code and certain state laws, including the Political Reform Act.
The functions of this office are:
- Defend the City in court action, including tort suits, and commence court actions as directed by the Mayor and Common Council, or pursuant to law.
- Investigate and prosecute ordinance violators and violators of certain state laws.
- To issue legal opinions and provide advice to the Mayor and Common Council, department/division heads, boards and commissions on legal questions.
- Attend various meetings with the Mayor and Common Council.
- Attend various meetings with department/division heads, boards and commissions.
- Attend various quasi-judicial hearings and conduct order to show cause hearings on Municipal Code violators.
- Prepare or review resolutions, ordinances, leases and agreements.
- Coordinate preparation of Municipal Code amendments.
- Keep abreast of new laws and current court decisions.
City Attorney's Office