The Mayor and City Council adopted Ordinance (MC-1464) on March 7, 2018, regulating commercial cannabis activities in the City as reflected in Municipal Code Chapter 5.10.
No person may engage in any commercial cannabis business or in any commercial cannabis activity within the City of San Bernardino including cultivation, manufacture, processing, laboratory testing, transporting, dispensing, special events, distribution, or sale of cannabis or a cannabis product unless the person:
1. Download the Commercial Cannabis Business Application Procedure Guidelines by clicking here or copies are available at the Community Development Department public counter.
Address: 201 North E Street, Third Floor, San Bernardino, CA 92401
Hours: Monday – Thursday, 7:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., Friday 7:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
2. Submit a Zoning Verification Letter (ZVL) request to determine if the parcel/property meets the sensitive use buffers outlined in Municipal Code Chapter 5.10.
The ZVL application form is available online by clicking here or at the Community Development Department public counter. Please note: An application is required because the Ordinance has a series of standards that require on-site inspection of the location and the surrounding area to determine if it meets the sensitive use buffers outlined in Municipal Code Chapter 5.10.025.
Notwithstanding the results of a Zoning Verification Letter, under SBMC Section 5.10.180, the ultimate determination on an application for a Commercial Cannabis Business Permit is made by the Mayor and City Council and an application may still be filed for this property. You should be aware that absent any amendments to the Commercial Cannabis Activities Ordinance (SBMC Chapter 5.10) the staff analysis and recommendation will note the property does not comply with the requirements of SBMC Section 5.10.250.
Turnaround time: 10 working days
|Until June 3, 2018||Effective June 4, 2018|
3. If the property/parcel meets the sensitive use buffers, the applicant may submit a Commercial Cannabis Business application.
To assist with the process, the applicant should download the Application Procedure Guidelines for a CCB and the applicable forms. Fees apply; please refer to the fee schedule below.
1. Applications will be accepted starting at 7:30 a.m. on April 23, 2018 through 4:00 p.m., June 25, 2018 only.
2. A maximum of 17 license/permits will be issued citywide.
i. The 17 may include a combination of Cultivation, Distribution, Manufacturing, Microbusiness, Retail and Testing license types not to exceed five per type.
ii. If all 17 licenses are not issued in the first round, the City will open a second round at a future date.
3. Applicants will be evaluated based on criterion outline in Municipal Code Chapter 5.10.090.
There is a four phase review process:
i. Phase 1: Determination of eligibility of owner and completeness of application
ii. Phase 2: Initial evaluation of Commercial Cannabis Business application – comparison to industry standards
iii. Phase 3: Interview and second ranking of applications – determine best fit within the City
iv. Phase 4: Mayor and City Council public hearing and award of CCB applications.
For more in-depth information, please review the Application Procedure Guidelines for a CCB or call the Community Development Department at 909-384-7272, extension 3343.
Phase I - $2,647
Phase II - $2,034
Phase III - $1,708
Phase IV - $1,237
Please note: Fees for Phase II, III, and IV are due upon successful completion of previous Phases.
California Cannabis Web Portal